South Africa - Day 4

After a short delay and morning flight to Johannesburg, our group visited the Apartheid Museum. This museum does not allow photography of any kind and your cell phone must be completely turned off, something I have only experienced once before in the Emmitt Till section of the National Museum of African American History and Culture (another must-see!). This rule was refreshing and moved the focus from documenting our visit to actually experiencing the space.

During this emotional journey through the museum I allowed myself to respond with whatever release was necessary. I felt anger and frustration at the mistreatment of Black people worldwide, even on our own continent.  There was journaling and tears, as I walked away with ideas and images that will stick with me long after leaving.





Goals Update:

Goal 1: Connecting with Peers from the Program, and in the Field
On the plane ride I had the pleasure to sit next to Miss Alabama (with only one teacher per state it sometimes feels as though we're in a pageant) who has convinced me to visit Birmingham. As another middle school teacher, we were able to laugh over the joys of working with this age group. Alabama had never been a state on my travel list, but this bustling city is home to the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, 16th Street Baptist Church, and a sculpture park commemorating events from the movement. The newly created National Memorial for Peace and Justice was is also two hours away in Montgomery.

Credit: https://civilrightstrail.com/attraction/birmingham-civil-rights-institute/



Goal 2: Finding South African Art to Share with Students
"A struggle without documentation is no struggle. Let us capture this, let us take pictures. Then you have won."

Peter MagubaneDavid Goldblatt, and Ernest Cole were prominent South African photographers highlighted in the museum, who used their skill to move the needle toward liberation. The museum bookstore was closed when I arrived, so I was unable to see if they had books of these artists' work. Instead, I plan to search online to create a resource folder in Schoology for my students to view their powerful images.


The museum also did a fantastic job of incorporating contemporary artwork by Farieda Nazier, which unexpectedly popped up next to pieces in the museum's permanent collection. This vivified the space and encouraged the viewer to compare South Africa's apartheid past with her commentary on our present.


Goal 3: Making Personal Art Daily
I made no art today. 😕

Comments

Popular Posts