A Note About Courage


While this is not my first international trip, first solo trip, or first time leaving my children, preparing for South Africa has felt drastically different than my previous travel. Perhaps it is the distance, or that I am going to a location that few people I know have been, but this foreignness has induced an extreme case of butterflies. Bold, active butterflies that came in many forms: as doubt when my oldest son asked me not to go, as worry when I dropped them at camp (surely a preview for when they go away to college!), as nausea during the Uber ride to the airport, and as lightheaded going through security solo at the airport. Even though my mind knows I am participating in this fellowship with nearly fifty other educators, my body experienced the preparation in isolation and with much anxiety.

As I reminded myself to practice mindful breathing techniques, chose healthy food in the airport, and stay hydrated, I also challenged myself to lean into this emotion. So often we tell ourselves, our children, and our students to persevere and push through. While well intended, those sentiments focus on the end results after the moment passes. It’ll be worth it in the end. What might be more important is teaching and modeling strategies for navigating difficult moments. What do you do in the moment?

I have been fortunate enough to work in a district that has offered breathing classes as an explicit strategy to try during moments of stress. Sitting with unpleasant emotions is an inevitable part of life, and will definitely come up during times when we break from our normal routine. Yet growing demands leaving your comfort zone, and leaving your comfort zone often induces fear.

So a note about courage: When those butterflies attack, breathe, and do it anyway.

Comments

Popular Posts